With New Year’s Eve just around the corner many people may be contemplating how they can make healthier decisions in 2017. According to a new, comprehensive national health analysis, many Massachusetts residents are already living a pretty healthy lifestyle and much healthier than many of their fellow Americans from other states.
According to the annual America’s Health Rankings report, now in its 27th year, New England is a pretty great place to be. Massachusetts was ranked the second healthiest state in the country, followed by Connecticut at number three and Vermont at number five. Hawaii took first for the fifth year running, and Minnesota rounded out the top five.
- Low prevalence of obesity
- Low percentage of population without insurance
- Higher number of primary care physicians
- High prevalence of excessive drinking
- High incidence of Salmonella
- Large disparity in health status by educational attainment