When served as a side to an otherwise healthy dinner this can be the difference between an okay meal and something really delicious. The recipe comes from Ina Garten and while I never seem to be able to follow recipes, this one is really easy. The total prep time is ~5 minutes and the cooking time is ~25 to 35 minutes.
This is one of those dishes that everyone likes. The recipe below is for two people so double this (or more) if you are cooking for a dinner party. I can guarantee you every last shallot will be devoured. When it is cooked, the smell is mouth watering and you can cut them with your fork.
- 1 pound of whole, peeled shallots
- 3 tablespoon of butter
- 1+ tablespoonsof sugar
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- pinch of kosher salt
- pinch of fresh ground black pepper
- flat leaf parsley, finely chopped (as much or little as you like)
Cooking tip: save yourself time and buy shallots that have already been pealed.
– Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
– Melt the butter in a medium pan over medium heat then add the shallots and sugar. Be sure to coat the shallots with the butter and sugar and stir them until they start to brown (5-10 minutes).
– Add the vinegar, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly then put the pan (uncovered) in the oven until tender and caramelized; about 20-30 minutes.
– Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.
Cleaning tip: The most difficult thing about making this is cleaning the pan after. I suggest that after you cook the shallots and plate them, add some water to the pan with a little dish soap and leave it on low heat on your stove. Just remember to use your oven mitts when you grab the pan to clean it!